Harriet Brooks Award
WiN Canada presents its annual Harriet Brooks Award to members who have made outstanding leadership contributions to the success of WiN Canada.
Applications close August 15th, 2023
Harriet Brooks was the first female nuclear scientist in Canada; defying the odds in a male-dominated field. Her research discoveries were so important that they became foundational to subsequent research findings by other notable physicists. Ms. Brooks faced discrimination as a woman who wished to simultaneously have a career and a family, when this aspiration went against traditional views. She was posthumously recognized in 2002 as an inductee to the Canadian Science and Engineering Hall of Fame.
Harriet Brooks Award winners are strong ambassadors for WiN Canada and effectively support the association’s objectives to:
- Develop a dialogue with the public to promote awareness around the factual contribution of nuclear technologies to people and society.
- Contribute to knowledge and experience exchange among members and Chapters.
- Promote career interest in nuclear engineering, science, technology, the trades and other nuclear-related professions, especially among women and young people.
- 2022 – Tara Welbourn, Loyalist College, RADS
- 2021 – Sarah Foster, Bruce Power
- 2020 – Carla Carmichael, Ontario Power Generation
- 2019 – Daniela Heimlich, Nuclear Waste Management Organization
- 2018 – Kim Doyle-Maloney, Ontario Power Generation
- 2017 – Véronique Loewen, Orano Canada Inc. (formerly Areva Resources Canada)
- 2016 – Laurie Swami, Ontario Power Generation
- 2015 – Sharon Therrien, Ontario Power Generation; Judy Bartley, Ontario Power Generation; Wendy Huys, Ontario Power Generation
- 2012 – Cheryl McCulloch, Bruce Power
- 2011 – Janet Donegan, Ontario Power Generation; Rumina Velshi, Ontario Power Generation
- 2010 – Susan Brissette, Bruce Power
- 2009 – Judy Tamm; Tracy Gagne, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
- 2008 – Parva Alavi, EWM Consulting
Award Process – Applications open May 15, 2023
Eligibility: Active WiN Canada members, who have not previously received the WiN Canada Leadership Award or Harriet Brooks Award are eligible for this award.
Nominations: All active WiN Canada members may recommend a candidate for this award. Nominations and supporting materials will be accepted starting May 15th, 2023 until August 15th, 2023, at 11:59 pm EST.
Evaluation Criteria: Nominations will be evaluated solely on the information provided in the nomination form and supporting documentation. The nominee should be someone who has gone above and beyond and has exhibited exceptional skills in the following categories:
- Communication – sharing WiN Canada’s mission and values with the public
- Education – supporting knowledge exchange and developments in STEM and nuclear technologies
- Leadership – providing leadership within WiN Canada
- Mentoring – encouraging other WiN Canada members, women and young people to explore careers in nuclear-related professions
Harriet Brooks Award nominees contribute to the organization through numerous activities, including (but not limited to):
- Assisting with the coordination of WiN Canada Chapter activities
- Contributing to member engagement initiatives within their Chapter
- Spearheading new Chapter initiatives
- Promoting nuclear career interest at schools
- Sharing the benefits of WiN Canada membership with potential members
- Chairing or administering WiN Canada committees
- Representing WiN Canada at industry events, through the Speakers’ Clearinghouse or other programs
Evaluation Process: The WiN Canada Awards Committee will screen all nominations and provide a single recipient to the WiN Canada Board for consensus affirmation. The Awards Committee includes representatives from all six Chapters. The successful recipient will be notified at the end of August and the scholarship will be awarded during the Women in Nuclear Canada Annual General Assembly taking place at the Annual Conference in October 2023.
Award Presentation: The Harriet Brooks Award will be announced and presented at the WiN Canada Annual Conference.
Nomination: Nominations for the award should be submitted using the nomination form, and include information regarding the nominee and the nominator, and a summary of why the nominee deserves the Harriet Brooks Award.
2023 Submissions Open May 15th, 2023